jgoody

Book Goodies

The act of writing always creates something of value. When I'm reading, it is the various manifestations of that inherent and powerful value that I'm looking to capture and share with my fellow book lovers.

From humble days as a bookseller in Colorado, I now live in NYC and work for one of the big publishing houses. I'm always reading a huge variety of books, but you're bound to find more reviews on titles that might not be on every bookstore's shelf quite yet!

And I must also say that it is immensely important to support independent bookstores. Definitely consider shopping with your local bookshop if you don't already!

If you're looking for one then check out the great store I used to work at:

oldfirehousebooks.com

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green I don't need to clarify that this is a book mainly about a set of teenagers who all have various types of cancer. That plays an important role, yes, but past that, this book is a love story. The two great loves of this book occur between Hazel and Augustus, and also between Hazel/Augustus and a book called An Imperial Affliction. I enjoyed the characters, plot, etc., but more than that, I love to read about people who are infatuated with a book. I am always a sucker for any story where a character is so deeply concerned about engaging with a piece writing that it actually drives the plot along. The whole ordeal with Peter Van Houten is just too great and there was no way I couldn't enjoy reading about something like that. As far as younger adult fiction goes, I think John Green might be proving to be one of my more favorite authors in that genre. I'd like to check out his other titles and see how they match up with the other young adult fiction I've enjoyed like Perks of Being a Wallflower or Thirteen Reasons Why.