jgoody

Book Goodies

The act of writing always creates something of value. When I'm reading, it is the various manifestations of that inherent and powerful value that I'm looking to capture and share with my fellow book lovers.

From humble days as a bookseller in Colorado, I now live in NYC and work for one of the big publishing houses. I'm always reading a huge variety of books, but you're bound to find more reviews on titles that might not be on every bookstore's shelf quite yet!

And I must also say that it is immensely important to support independent bookstores. Definitely consider shopping with your local bookshop if you don't already!

If you're looking for one then check out the great store I used to work at:

oldfirehousebooks.com

Keep the fingerling away!

In the House Upon the Dirt Between the Lake and the Woods - Matt Bell

So this is another I couldn't make it through.  I got somewhere around 150 pages in before I had to stop.  It was hard enough to read the word "fingerling" over and over again but once I got to the point where I saw that each paragraph for the next 25ish pages started with "And in this room..." I knew that I'd gone as far as I could.  I can see how people will enjoy this one.  It felt like a novel trying to make a modern myth and that is a valiant ambition.  There is definitely interesting writing and imagery, but I personally don't care to read about another single thing that the magical wife has sung into existence.  I think I'm taking an ARC break after trying this one and keeping to books with a little more acclaim.